Living in Daejeon

Driver’s License

International Driver’s License

The International Driver’s License is essentially the same as the Korean driver's license, but it is only valid for one year upon arriving in Korea. Those who intend to stay in Korea for more than a year must obtain a Korean driver's license in order to continuing driving.

Converting a foreign driver's license into a Korean driver's license

Those holding a valid driver's license issued from a foreign agency should obtain a Korean driver's license by taking a physical exam. The type of license corresponds to that of your original license.

  • Required Documents : Driver's license issued by the applicant’s home country, Passport and Foreign Registration Certificate, Three photos, Certified translation of the driver's license (exemption for licenses in English), Written confirmation from their embassy, Processing fee of 17,000won

Obtaining a Korean Driver's License

  • There are two types of Korean Driver's Licenses, Type I and II, determined by the type of vehicle driven.
  • To get a driver's license, applicants must pass a written test, a function test, and a road test.
  • Documents required at each test
    • Written test: passport, Alien Registration Card (ARC), three small passport-sized photos, and a fee of 6,000won.
    • Function test: passport, Alien Registration Card (ARC), application form, and a fee of 15,000won.
    • Road test: passport, Alien Registration Card (ARC), and a fee of 20,000won.
  • Aptitude test and renewing a driver's license
    • Type I Driver's License holders must take an aptitude test within the time period specified on their Driver's License. Type II driver's license holders are not required to take an aptitude test, but must renew their license within the period specified on their driver's license.

Driver's License Examination Office in Daejeon

  • Location: 364-2 Daebyeol-dong, Dong-gu
  • Telephone: (042) 273-2900, 3800
  • Website :

    ※ available in English, Japanese, Chinese

Authorized Driving Schools

No. Name Location (Address) Telephone
1 Samsung 31-2 Jeongnim-dong, Seo-gu 584-6116
2 Heungil 182-5 Daebyeol-dong, Dong-gu 271-6688
3 Hyangwoo 52-10 Byeon-dong, Seo-gu 533-0400
4 Munhwa 174-4 Yongun-dong, Dong-gu 284-3399
5 Daesung 413-33 Jungchon-dong, Jung-gu 242-6565
6 Shintan 256 Shintanjin, Daedeok-gu 934-9000
7 Hyosung 499 Gasuwon-dong, Seo-gu 546-8000
8 Songgang 386 Bongsan-dong, Yuseong-gu 936-7400

Send injured person(s) to the hospital.

  • Send injured person(s) to the hospital.
  • Reporting the accident to the police is not required, but may assist with their investigation.
  • Inform your insurance company of the accident. - For the police, call 112 / Call 119 for an ambulance