Living in Daejeon

Staying in Korea and Acquiring Citizenship

  • Permit to remain in Korea
  • Registration
  • Obligatory Declarations
  • Acquiring Citizenship


Eligibility ? Registration Period ? Procedure

Foreign residents wishing to remain in Korea for more than 90 days within a valid visa must apply for an Alien Registration Card at the Daejeon Immigration Office within 90 days upon the arrival. Children of holders of an ARC are eligible to enroll at a regular government funded Korean school in their neighborhood, or at the private run Daejeon Christian International School. The alien registration also entitles the holder to free national health insurance. According to Act 27 of the Korea Immigration Law, all local residents over the age of 17 must carry their ARC at all times and must be able to produce it upon request.

  1. 1. Eligibility
    • An alien with the intention to remain in Korea for more than 90 days
    • An individual who has renounced his/her Korean nationality to acquire another foreign nationality
    • A person born in South Korea to non-Korean parents with legal residency.

      ※ Exemption from foreigner registration

      • Individuals, and their family members, engaged in diplomacy under official missions and agreements, A-1, A-2, A-3.
      • Individuals, and their family members, undertaking diplomatic, industrial or other important duties for national security, and others from whom exemption is given by the Minister of Justice.
      • Citizens of Canada intending to stay in Korea for fewer than six months who fall under one of the following categories : Culture/Arts (D-1), Religious Works (D-6), Visit & Stay with Family (F-1), Family Dependency (F-3) and Others (G-1)
  1. 2. Application Period
    • Foreigners intending to stay in Korea for more than 90 days → must register within 90 days upon entry
    • Foreigners who have received permission to stay and who subsequently change their purpose of sojourn → must register upon receiving permission
  2. 3. Method of Alien Registration
    • Applicants should submit the following documents to the Immigration Office or a branch office under their jurisdiction
      • Documents: application form, passport, 2 color photo (3 x 4 cm); fee of 20,000 won and other required documents per status of stay. ※ For more information
      • visit :
      • telephone : 02-500-9061~2

☞ More information ,